I'm the type of girl who prefers an experience--particularly a travel-related one--over any Valentine's spread of bling and chocolate hearts. And if you're looking for ways to say "I Love You" this Valentine's Day that promise a transporting experience for the both of you, here are some dreamy ideas for planning your escape:
- Who wouldn't love a tropical getaway in the dead of winter? The inimitable Montpelier Plantation & Beach in Nevis is dubbing February "chocolate month," tempting lovers with handmade confections enlivened with local ingredients like mango and passionfruit.
- Go all-inclusive at the Paradisus Resorts in Punta Cana or Palma Real in the Dominican Republic or Playa del Carmen and Cancun in Mexico--Valentine's specials, good from Feb. 7-17, start at just $230 per night/per person, with food, beverages and entertainment included.
- All ten Hilton properties in Chicago--including the Waldorf Astoria Chicago, Hilton Chicago and The Drake Hotel--are offering Romantic Chillcation packages for stays through March 31, with discounted room rates that start from $119 per night and include parking. Can't you just picture the two of you ice skating at Millennium Park on a fun and frosty night?
- For something different, celebrate your love in a former jail at The Liberty Hotel in Boston. The Lip-Locked Valentine's package, good through the end of Feb., starts from $299 and includes a stay in a luxury room, a split of Moet champagne delivered to your room, an intimacy kit and valet parking.
- And how's this for romantic? The Dream Proposal Package from the ultra-luxe Mondrian Los Angeles just invites the question to be popped with three nights in the penthouse suit, a private five-course dinner by the executive chef of Asia de Cuba, a bottle of Dom, an engagement party for up to 50 friends and a four-carat Tacori engagement ring to seal the deal--all for the tidy sum of, $105,000.
A girl can dream, right?
Image courtesy Hilton Hotels