What's Special About Movenpick:
Guest Rooms at Movenpick:
- 226 guest rooms
- The hotel occupies a circular, restored brick water tower, with wedgelike rooms cut like slices of cake. But there was no lack of space in my room, where the color scheme (purple, white and subtle metallic hues) made me think of autumn.
- Two fluffy duvets beckoned atop the double bed. Instead of a headboard, I liked a glass window into the bathroom (with electric privacy shades).
- Heated floors, a deep tub and speakers piping in TV audio were welcome luxe touches. And a big desk in front of windows overlooking a park let me answer emails with an air of relaxation.
- Rates: $$
- Compare rates on Kayak
Dining at Movenpick:
- The hotel restaurant, looking onto the park, is a serene spot for lingering over the complimentary breakfast buffet. I loved the Euro-style healthy breads, fresh meats and cheeses, as well as the all-American bacon and egg spread.
- Talk about romantic. Vaulted brick ceilings and candles glowing in cozy nooks make the Cave Bar seriously seductive. Specialty cocktails are pricey but expertly made -- I'm still thinking of the Tiramisu Martini I savored. What a sophisticated spot to start the evening before hitting the nearby Schanze district's clubs and restaurants.
Activities and Amenities at Movenpick:
- Wellness is a concept Germans hold close to their hearts; partaking in the beautiful organic-inspired sauna area is a must. With some courage I went au naturel like the locals, spending a few minutes in the Finnish-style sauna before donning a robe and relaxing to the sounds of rolling waves on a chaise lounge in the chill out area. One word: bliss.
- A small fitness room is adequately equipped with cardio equipment and weights. As a runner, I loved the hotel's location -- right next to a tree-filled park with flat running paths and grassy areas for stretching.
- The hotel hosts corporate events in 13 conference rooms.
Good to Know About Movenpick:
- A subway station is just steps out the front door.
- The Schanze area is one of Hamburg's hippest quarters, with terrific restaurants and bars and plenty of local flavor.
- Bathrobes and slippers aren't in rooms, but a quick call to housekeeping saw them delivered within minutes.
- Flatscreen TVs, wedged into a corner near the ceiling, are at an odd angle for viewing. Ask for extra pillows to make tuning into CNN International more comfortable.
- Believe it or not, you'll feel awkward wearing a bathing suit in the wellness area. Europeans hit the sauna and steam rooms nude, so be prepared to follow (birthday) suit.
Getting to Movenpick:
Find a flight to Hamburg
Direct Phone: 011 49 40 3344 110
Fax: 011 49 40 3344 113 333
Web site: Movenpick Hamburg
Reviews of Movenpick:
Have you stayed at Movenpick Hamburg? Tell me about your trip.